Navigation Menu

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Persuasion

After a two month break, our book club finally had our 3rd official meeting. This time we all were to read the book Persuasion by Jane Austen. We also got together to watch the BBC movie of the book.

Penguin Popular Classics Persuasion by Jane Austen
(Fun Fact) I specifically chose to share this picture of the book, as it is the exact copy that I own. Several years ago, my family took a trip to England and we visited Bath one of the places that frequently shows up in Jane Austen's novels. While we were in Bath, I purchased this book, and the rest of Jane Austen's novels at a museum dedicated to her.

The book was one of my suggestions, as I have grown to love the story. Jane Austen is a favorite author of mine, and I especially enjoy the story of Anne Elliot. When she is a young lady, she is persuaded not to marry a certain man. After 8 long years, she still loves him. The part of I love most about the book is to see the transformation that Anne goes through. She begins as a soft-spoken girl, who will never stand up for herself. Towards the end of the book, she is much more forward, and is no longer persuaded by what others feel. She finds her own identity. I think it's a beautiful story.

Since this was my choice, I was given the task of coming up with a quiz for my friends. I had a lot of fun with this, and took notes throughout the story so I could try to stump them, and even give some extra information later that I had researched. It was quite fun for me!

Just like I did with To Kill a Mockingbird, I will share with you the questions, but if you want the answers, you will have to read the book for yourself. I would hate to deprive you of the privilege and satisfaction you can get from finding out for yourself.

1) Who persuaded Anne to not marry Frederick when she was young, and why?

2) Jane Austen has 6 complete novels, which one is Persuasion?

a. 3rd book
b. 1st book
c. 4th book
d. 6th book

3) What happened to prolong the moment of Anne & Frederick meeting again after 8 long years had past?

4) Who besides Frederick was Anne also persuaded not to marry and why?

5) What is the name of the family home the Elliot family was forced to rent out at the beginning of the story?

a. Kellynch Hall
b. Camden Place
c. Uppercross Hall

6) Why was Mr. William Elliot in bad favor with the Elliot family, and where did we first see him?

7) Anne’s father tells her upon their long absence from each other, “her skin, her complexion, greatly improved; clearer, fresher.” What product did he think she’d been using?

8) How old was Anne when her mother died? And how old is she at the end of the story?

9) Why did the Admiral and Mrs. Croft come to bath?

10) Who was it that told Mrs. Smith that Anne would be marrying Mr. William Elliot?

11) In the letter that changes everything at the end of the book, to whom is it addressed?

a. Miss Anne
b. Miss A E
c. Miss Anne Elliot

This will probably give away one of the answers to the questions, but I found this information to be most interesting and made me enjoy the novel even more. Jane Austen wrote Persuasion in a hurry, during an illness that she eventually died from; as a result, the novel is both shorter and arguably less polished. It was not subject to the usual pattern of careful retrospective revision. I believe it was still very well done, and has a special place in my heart.


If you've read many books from the time period of Jane Austen, the lifestyle they led was remarkably different than us. One of the things we were talking and laughing about the night of our meeting was how the characters would take a turn around the room, or a walk together. They would stop what they were doing, link arms, and walk the perimeter of a room. I would guess this would be to stretch their legs a bit, but it's still rather comical. My friends decided to take a turn around the kitchen.


I am so thankful for the gift of friendship I was given. I love all these women dearly, and I would gladly do anything for them. Whether it be taking a turn around the room, or something greater. God has blessed me!

This coming month, our next book we will be reading is Julie by Catherine Marshall, another one of my suggestions. I would encourage you to read it with us!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Jane Austen books too!! I've often thought about how fun it would have been to live in that time period. Even to dress like that would be kinda fun! I enjoy reading your blog...you're very good at writing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...