Navigation Menu

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Dr. Seuss

"I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny. But we can have lots of good fun that is funny! I know some good games we could play." Said the cat. "I know some new tricks," said the Cat in the Hat. "A lot of good tricks. I will show them to you. Your mother will not mind at all if I do."

For some silly, whimsical fun, this week we had Dr. Seuss come for a day. We invited a couple friends over to play, and spent a few hours just being silly. We all dressed the part to get in the mood, and spent the day crafting and eating tons of food. It was great!

cat in the hat Dr Seuss lightbulb paper mache craft
Our first craft we worked on was The Cat in the Hat. You can't start a party right without him. Before the party, my friend put together our base for the cat in the hat. She made it out of a light bulb and half a toilet paper roll, and then she covered it in paper mâché. All we had to do was paint it and add a few extra details, like ears and the bill of the hat. They both were cut from white craft foam, and hot glued in place. It was very easy to make, and came out adorable. I think we're going to add a ribbon and save them as a Christmas tree ornament.




Ariel did a great job having story time with the kids! We have several Dr. Seuss books to choose from. I believe she read The CAT in the HAT, and The CAT in the HAT COMES BACK.


green eggs and ham Dr. Seuss
For lunch we ate green eggs and ham! Some were brave and tried both; some were not and tried none. I thought the eggs were delicious; however I had a hard time eating the green ham. It reminded me of mold too much!
I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam I am.



After lunch was done, we used our brains and matched Dr. Seuss characters with their famous quotes. I found the quiz was a little difficult because I haven't read all the books yet. There are so many of them out there!

My favorite part of the party was making the cupcake FISH. They were so cute and tasty! We decorated them with M&Ms scales along with some candy fruit slices for the tail. My sister read us the Dr. Seuss book that went along with our fish.


One Fish

one fish Dr Seuss cupcakes
Two Fish

two fish Dr. Seuss cupcakes
Red Fish

Red fish Dr. Seuss cupcake
Blue Fish

Blue fish Dr. Seuss cupcake
From there to here
from here to there,
funny things
are everywhere

Horton Hears A Who pencil craft
Our friends had an appointment they needed to go to, so they weren't able to stay and watch Horton Hears a Who with us. But we did give them their pencil party favor. While the kids were reading books with Ariel, the adults got to make the speck on a flower that Horton finds the Who's on.

"Even though you can’t see
or hear them at all,
a person’s a person,
no matter how small."

I think everyone would agree it was a fun wacky day!

I had a lot of fun putting my kids together for the day. My boys wanted to be Thing 1 and Thing 2. I quickly traced the words on a white circle, found a red tank top, and sewed the circle on both of their shirts in 30 minutes or less. I found some blue hair spray in the party section at Wal-Mart. Cheap but very cute!

Thing 1 Thing 2 Dr. Seuss


Cindy Lou Who's hair Dr. Seuss
My daughter's hair was really fun to do. I always wanted to try Cindy Lou Who's hair. I simply put a small cup on her head and gathered the hair around it for a pony tail. I braided the hair that was left down and the result was very silly!



"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” -Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...