Navigation Menu

Friday, July 6, 2012

Kids Say the Darndest Things

As we were driving away from Wheatstate Camp, I texted my husband to let him know I was finally on my way home. One week can feel like a really long time when you're apart from your family. In truth, when I was gone the only time I remembered my husband and son that were left behind was during my one hour of free time. You are kept so busy. This is a good thing!

Titus told Zech, "Mommy's coming home today!"

"Mommy's coming home on this day?"

"Yeah, just a little bit after lunch."

"Oh yay, I missed her."

"I missed her too."

Zech thought about it and laughed, "We both missed her."

My first moments with Zechariah didn't go exactly as I had planned. He seemed mad at me and would hardly say anything except a quick, "I missed you." I get that from him every time I leave so I was hoping for something a little more heartfelt.

When it was getting close to bedtime, I finally got the response I needed. He was snuggled up to me in my bed. I told him he had until his dad came in the room, and then he would need to run to his own bed.

As we lay there together, he gave me a kiss on the cheek, put his arm around me, and said, "I thought you were gonna be gone forever. And number 2, I knew you were gonna come back."

I thought that was so sweet. It was like he knew in his head I would be back, but his heart was telling him something totally different.

Still snuggled together, I told him, "I missed being your mommy this week."

"Yeah, grandma was my mommy this week."

"Was she a good mommy?"

He didn't ponder this question for very long at all, "No. She said mean words to me."

"What did she say?" I was a little surprised at this.

"She said, 'you can't move there.' Then I didn't get to play the game."

You have to understand that Zechariah lives to play the game Trouble. I play this with him every single day, sometimes 2 or 3 games of it. He will even choose to play by himself. All you have to do is pick the color, and he will move all the pieces and roll the die for you. He's obsessed!

I guess when I was gone, he tried to play the game once with Grandma, and he was less than honest in the moving of his pieces. She told him he couldn't do it, and he was mad! So mad, in fact, that he threw a chair over. Needless to say, he didn't finish that game with her.

I had a good laugh about Grandma's mean words!


While we were snuggling some more together, he asked me if he could go to my class.

"My class?"

"Yeah, I like your class. Member, I went before?"

"Oh, you mean at church." About a month ago we used our class as a punishment for Zechariah. We thought he would be so bored by sitting with us in "big church" that he would be more than willing to obey so he could attend his own class. It didn't work. He liked the extra attention of sitting between mom and dad.

"You're my best friend. Am I your friend?" asked Zechariah.

"Yeah, we're friends."

"We are best friends. I want to go to your class and sit with my wife."

This got a laugh out of me, "You want to sit with who?

"My wife."

I had to ask again, "Who?"

"I want to sit with my wife. You are my wife because we're best friends."

After a wonderful week of camp, I was more than happy to come home to my best friends, Zechariah and Titus. God has blessed my life, and filled my cup to overflowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...