Navigation Menu

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Zechariah likes to drink chocolate milk. He isn't able to mix it himself, but he sure can drink it. The other day I was making a glass for him, and asked him to put the milk away. His response was disheartening.

"No. I don't want to. I just want to drink my chocolate milk."

"What do you mean you DON'T want to? You afraid of a little work?"

"No. I don't like to work.


This response didn't go over very well with me. I made him do it anyway, and tried to explain that we all have to do work whether or not we really want to, and then I added, "Right, Gabe?"

He was sitting at the table coloring and I knew he would appreciate the conversation.

Gabriel gave me a very exaggerated, "Yes. I have to do SO MUCH work. You're lucky, Zech!"

I found this a bit comical. He was referring to the few chores he does around the house. On Saturday's he cleans the bathrooms, and twice a week he washes the dishes. His room is also supposed to be kept clean. This pretty much is where the work ends for him. I might ask him to take out the garbage or the recycling, but that about covers it.

I couldn't resist emphasizing how easy he has it as a child, and that he should enjoy it while it lasts. When did I turn into my mother?

His acknowledgement was priceless. I will never let my husband forget it.

"Well, at least I'm going to be the husband when I grow up. When you're the mom you have to work like 24 hours a day, every day. And dad works what, like 11 hours? And then he gets to play for the rest of the day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...