Navigation Menu

Monday, December 30, 2013

Fulfilled Dreams

Every parent dreams of making their child's wish come true. Not all of us have the power to make it happen. This Christmas I experienced perfect joy in my son. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed before; a pure, radiant joy that brought tears to every eye in the room.

My nine year old son, Gabriel, is an author. Ever since he was in kindergarten and could put pen to paper, he has been writing short stories. In the beginning they were difficult to follow. He was learning to spell at the same time he was learning to compose a story. You often needed an interpreter. As the years have gone by, he has improved his skills by leaps and bounds. Each story is better than the previous one. He learns something new about writing. He also increases his vocabulary.

When you spend a couple hours each day practicing something you are bound to get good at it. This is the case with Gabriel. He is really great at what he does. I am so proud of what he is becoming. Gabriel writes better than some adults I know. His stories are interesting and well written. He is going to go far.

Toy Wars book

This summer Gabriel wrote a book entitled, Toy Wars. It's based on his toy friends. Each toy has a place in his book. Some of the toys are the good guys, and some are the bad guys. Every toy is loved by my son; their value has no weight on what part they play in the story.

Toy Wars book by Gabriel

Over the past few months I spent hours with Gabriel typing his story. We worked together on this. He dictated, I typed. When the entire manuscript was in a Word document, we began the job of editing. I was the guinea pig. I told him what parts I didn't understand, and he clarified. The words of this story are all his. I would only prod him to give more details; he would come up with how it was said.

Once the story was finished, Ariel was assigned the task of illustrating. She did this secretively. It was to be a gift for her brother at Christmas. Hours and hours were spent in the basement drawing characters and depicting scenes. As each picture was completed, I would scan it into the computer.

We all worked as a team. Most of which was unknown to Gabriel. This was to be his big Christmas gift. I uploaded his story book to an online publishing company called Blurb. (I love this company! The books are high quality and low priced.)

By the first week of December we had a real live book in our hands, written by my son and illustrated by my daughter. I knew Gabe was going to be ecstatic.

The weeks went by so slowly leading up to Christmas, at least in the part of my son opening his huge Christmas gift. It was very difficult to keep it a secret from him. When I opened the package from the post office I wanted to run and show him. The book was beautiful, and it was his hard work. He had earned the right to hold that book. I couldn't wait to see that happen!

On Christmas evening my son's dreams were fulfilled. He held the book in his hands. He danced for joy, literally. He was happier than I have ever seen him. He sang a song, "Rejoice, Rejoice ... o come o come Emmanuel." He hugged me. He was so happy he hugged me a long good hug. He has hugged me a few times since in thanks.


I am so proud of him. He worked hard, and he did it. His dream came true. His book is published. People can purchase his book if they so desire. On Christmas day he autographed books from every member of the family. He felt like star because he was a star. We recognized his talents and gave him the respect he deserved.

If you see Gabriel, ask him what he's writing. He won't disappoint you. Success is not something to be achieved and placed on a shelf. His success has inspired him to write more, and write better. Already he has plans of publishing book two, Toy Wars: The Sequel.

God made each of us with a purpose. There is such fulfillment in finding out what that purpose is, and then doing it. We each have different talents and abilities. It's up to us what we make of them. Dream big. Dream the impossible, and watch God fulfill it.

"God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us." Ephesians 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...